Before you can stop and smell the roses, you might want to know a few things about them. For instance, did you know that the world’s smallest flower is just 1 mm across? Or that some flowers are so rare that they’re worth more than gold? Here are ten interesting facts about flowers sure to surprise and delight.
Before you can stop and smell the roses, you might want to know a few things about them. For instance, did you know that the world’s smallest flower is just 1 mm across? Or that some flowers are so rare that they’re worth more than gold? Here are ten interesting facts about flowers that you may not know.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT FLOWERS
1. The world’s smallest flower is the watermeal, which measures just 0.1mm across.
2. The world’s largest flower is the Rafflesia arnoldii, which can grow up to 3 feet across.
3. The most expensive flower is the Juliet rose, which sells for $15,800 per stem.
4. The world’s oldest known flower is a 130-million-year-old specimen of Montsechia Vidalii.
5. Flowers are edible! Some common edible flowers include nasturtiums, violas, and daylilies.
6. Flowers have been used as natural dyes for centuries. For example, madder produces a deep red color, while woad yields a beautiful blue hue.
7. Flower symbolism dates back to ancient times. For example, in ancient Greece, roses were associated with Aphrodite, the goddess of love.
8. In the Victorian era, flowers were a form of nonverbal communication. For example, a red rose means “I love you,” while a white rose signifies purity and innocence.
9. Flowers are an essential food source for pollinators like bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds.
10. Flowers are also an essential source of nectar for birds. Some flowers have evolved specifically to attract bird pollinators.
Weird Facts About Flowers
1. Some flowers are carnivorous and trap insects to digest them.
2. Flowers can hear buzzing bees
3. Some flowers are used as natural insecticides. For example, the pyrethrum daisy is commonly used as a green pest control measure.
4. Flowers are thermogenic and can generate heat to attract pollinators.
5. There are over 300,000 different species of flowering plants in the world!
6. Flowers are known to emit a faint humming noise that is inaudible to humans.
7. Flowers are capable of growing incredibly fast. For example, the world’s fastest-growing flower is the bamboo orchid, which can grow up to 12 inches in a single day.
8. Flowers are interesting not just for their beauty but also for their medicinal properties. For example, the Aloe vera plant is commonly used to treat burns and wounds.
9. Flowers have been used in religious ceremonies for centuries. For example, lotus flowers were associated with the sun god Ra in ancient Egypt.
10. Some flowers are capable of moving, a trait that is known as thigmotropism.
Flowers are fascinating and complex creatures, and there’s much to learn about them. From the world’s smallest flower to the most expensive one, these fascinating plants never cease to amaze. So the next time you stop and smell the roses, remember these ten interesting facts about flowers.